About Rancho Palos Verdes
Rancho Palos Verdes, California, or RPV for short, occupies fourteen square miles at the apex of southern California's picturesque Palos Verdes Peninsula. The monied suburb of 41,643 residents sits atop a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean with Catalina Island visible in the distance. The Palos Verdes Hills carve a striking silhouette along the eastern horizon. The Rancho Palos Verdes, CA yellow pages serve a handful of RPV-adjacent communities on the Palos Verdes, or PV, peninsula, attesting to the close-knit bond the city shares with neighboring cities like Rolling Hills, Rolling Hills Estates, and Palos Verdes Estates. Incorporated in 1973, the town of Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif. is a 60 to 90 minute drive south of Hollywood and downtown Los Angeles on the 110 Harbor Freeway. Northbound commutes to LAX and southbound commutes to Long Beach via the 405 San Diego Freeway take a more tolerable thirty minutes. The climate along the PV peninsula is heavily influenced by the Pacific Ocean and decidedly Mediterranean. Summer highs peak at an average 78 degrees F and average winter lows dip to 45 degrees F.
The Palos Verdes peninsula is part of a region colloquially dubbed the South Bay, a name that pops up from time to time on area newscasts, in the Rancho Palos Verdes, CA business directory, and throughout the Rancho Palos Verdes, CA yellow pages. The South Bay subsumes two dozen communities in southwestern Los Angeles County from the Santa Monica Bay to the 710 Long Beach Freeway. The northern boundary traces the 91 Gardena Freeway, while the southern border unofficially straddles Long Beach city limits. The history of Rancho Palos Verdes and the South Bay region dates back nearly 500 years to 1542 when acclaimed Portuguese explorer Juan Cabrillo, sailing under the auspices of Spain, became the first European to observe the PV peninsula as he sailed across San Pedro Bay. The site of present day Rancho Palos Verdes was originally part of Rancho San Pedro, the first Spanish land grant in California. This 75,000 acre plot of land, covering most of what is now the South Bay, was gifted to Juan Dominguez in 1769 as an expression of gratitude from the King of Spain. The town of RPV and the South Bay have certainly changed from the days when Juan Dominguez could look east to watch his cattle graze along vast expanses of fertile grassland or look west to catch the sun set atop miles of golden deserted coastline.
Written by Lyndsey Morgan