During the 1500s and up to 1650, the area now known as Fairfield, CT was known as Uncoway and its inhabitants were the hunters and fisherman of the Uncowas, Sasquas, Maxumux, and Pequonnocks tribes, which made up the large group of Native Americans called the Paugussett Indians. The Aspetucks also were part of the Paugussett Native Americans, but lived further inland. Up to 95% of the population was killed by smallpox, measles, and other diseases bought by the early English colonist who began to arrive in the area around 1630. These Native Americans were peace loving people and welcomed the new settlers with open arms. However, the English colonists were afraid of the Native Americans and on May 26, 1637, they burned their village while the men were away. In July of that year, most of the men were killed in a battle led by Captain John Mason and Roger Ludlow. The very few Native American children and women who survived were forced into slavery to the Massachusetts Bay Colony settlers.
Four short years later, Roger Ludlow returned to the area and made peace with the few remaining Paugussett Native Americans buying the land from them and agreeing that they could occupy the land on the west side of the Housatonic River. In 1639, Roger Ludlow laid out the original town of Fairfield, which today is called the Historic Town Green. Those wanting more information on the business located there today should consult the Fairfield, CT yellow pages. The original settlers of Fairfield decided who could live in town, and expelled any who chose to not listen to their decision.On July 8, 1779, the British led by General William Tryon attacked the area following an earlier nearby attack on April 25, 1777. The attack on Fairfield burned the entire community, leaving the community with scars that was visible years later. Before the Civil War, more residents in Fairfield owned slaves than any other place in Connecticut. In 1780, two slaves from Fairfield asked Connecticut's General Assembly for emancipation for all slaves. It was not accomplished, however, until 1848. Those wanting information on Fairfield, CT historical museums should consult the Fairfield, CT yellow pages.
Written by Lyndsey Morgan